Assistant Director of Human Resources
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for a full-time, professional Assistant Director of Human Resources. Responsibilities will include a broad spectrum of advanced HR generalist functions. The position reports to the HR Director.
- Ensure HR’s compliance with all relevant federal and state employment laws in daily operations
- Self-directed problem solving in all areas of HR as needed
- Design and facilitate yearly new employee orientation
- Meet with employees to resolve complaints and grievances
- Advise management of appropriate resolution of employee relations issues
- Coordinate employee mediation sessions
- Serve as the Institute’s designated employee ADA coordinator
- Provide individual retirement counseling
- Develop recruitment plans and post vacancy announcements
- Coordinate and implement comprehensive training program
- Participate in the development and delivery of management training for technical HR topics and leadership topics.
- Represent VMI in unemployment claim hearings
- Prepare and analyze personnel data to report on established HR metrics
- Represent VMI at HR-related hearings and investigations
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree with coursework specifically related to HR and/or professional experience in personnel management, policy development, training assessment, and mediation. Ability to deal comfortably and establish effective working relationships with people of different levels of education and experience. Must have persuasive, pleasant personality. Must possess exceptional management, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; be detail-oriented, flexible and able to prioritize multiple projects. Demonstrated ability to present to all levels of audience, design and measure training, and plan and organize projects. Preferred: Experience in higher education/public sector; HR experience in government agencies; professional certification (PHR). Individuals with advanced degrees in higher education administration, law, or business are encouraged to apply.
This is a uniformed, professional faculty position. Military experience is not required. Starting salary will be based on credentials and experience. VMI offers an excellent benefits package. Apply on-line at: https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov/applicants/Central?quickFind=165458
Include a resume, a letter of interest addressing your specific qualifications and the names and contact information for three professional references.
On-line applications accepted until the position is filled. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply.