A Guide to Portraits in Preston Library
The Virginia Military Institute maintains a large collection of fine art and artifacts. Some of the most notable examples from VMI's portrait collection, including works by 19th century artist William D. Washington, are displayed in Preston Library. This page lists only those paintings located in the Library. Use your browser's "find" option to search for a subject. For detailed information about these and other paintings at VMI contact the VMI Museum.
3rd Floor. Gallery & adjacent areas (primarily World Wars I & II)
- Almond, Edward. (Class of 1915) Lt. Gen., USA
- Bucher, Oliver B. (Class of 1917; VMI Commandant, 1946-1951) BG USA
- Buckner, Simon B. (Class of 1906) Lt. Gen., USA. Killed in action June 1945.
- Burress, Withers A. (Class of 1914) MG USA
- Gerow, Leonard T. (Class of 1911) Gen. USA Related information
- Handy, George B.J. (Class of 1940). Lt. USA; 1st VMI alumnus to die in WWII.
- Handy, Thomas T. (Class of 1914). GEN USA.
- Hathaway, Edward T. (Class of 1915). Lt. AEF WWI. Killed in France 1918.
- Lowry, Sumter. (Class of 1914). Lt. Gen. USA
- Marshall, George C. (Class of 1901) Gen. USA
- Patton, George S., Jr. (Class of 1907). GEN USA Related information
- Pate, Randolph Mc. (Class of 1921). GEN USMC
4th Floor Gallery - Civil War portraits by William D. Washington. Related information- Washington bio & online exhibit
- Allen, James W. (Class of 1849). KIA Gaines's Mill, 1862. Related information
- Chenoweth, Joseph. (Class of 1859). KIA 1862. Related information
- Crutchfield, Stapleton (Class of 1855). KIA 1865.
- Garland, Samuel (Class of 1849). KIA 1862. Related information
- Jackson, Stonewall. VMI Faculty/CSA GEN. Related information
- Latimer, Joseph W. (Class of 1863). Mortally wounded at Gettysburg.
- Lee, Robert E. GEN CSA
- Marr, John Quincy (Class of 1846). KIA 1861
- Otey, George Gaston (Class of 1855). Died from wounds received in battle, 1862
- Rodes, Robert E. (Class of 1848) KIA 1864 Related information
- Stuart, James E.B. CSA Gen. Mortally wounded 1864.
4th Floor. Archives Reading Room (M-F, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
The Patton portraits were painted by William D. Washington.
4th Floor. Other areas.
5th (Main) Floor. Turman Room. (VMI Superintendents)
Dates of service as Superintendent follow each name
- Smith, Francis H. (1839-1889) Related information
- Shipp, Scott (1890-1907)
- Nichols, Edward West (1907-1924)
- Cocke, William H. (1924-1929)
- Lejeune, John A. (1929-1937)
- Kilbourne, Charles E. (1937-1946)
- Marshall, Richard J. (1946-1952)
- Milton, William H. (1952-1960)
- Shell, George R. E. (1960-1971)
- Irby, Richard L. (1971-1981)
- Walker, Sam S. (1981-1988)
- Knapp, John W. (1988-1995)
- Bunting, Josiah III (1995-2002)
5th (Main) Floor. Class of 1969 Memorial Room (Periodicals Room)
These four members of the Class of 1969 were killed in the Vietnam War
5th (Main) Floor. Other areas. (location noted in parentheses)
- Preston, John T.L. Founder of VMI & early faculty member for whom the library is named. (entry)
- Turman, Dolly Hardee. (adjacent to Turman Room)
- Ayres, H. Fairfax. Class of 1906. (Circulation Desk) Artist-Norman Rockwell.
- Richardson, William H. Board of Visitors, Adjutant General of Virginia, State Librarian (Circulation Desk) Artist- William Hubard, 1852.
- McClung, O. Hunter. Class of 1935. (Circulation Desk)
- Williamson, Thomas H. Faculty, 1841-1887. (stacks)
- Dillard, Herbert N., Jr. Class of 1934 and Faculty member (Reference Room)
- Snelling Charles M. Class of 1884. (Reference Room)
- Oakes, Laurence (Class of 1917) & his wife (near administrative offices)
- Humphreys, James W. General, USAF & Class of 1935. (carrels near microforms area)
- Washington, George (opposite back elevator)
6th Floor gallery and Ward Reading Room
- Colston, Raleigh E. (Class of 1846)
- Early, John Cabell (Class of 1867/New Market)
- Hanna, John F. (Class of 1864/New Market)
- Massie, Robert W. (Class of 1878/Board of Visitors)
- Minge, Collier H. (Class of 1864/New Market)
- Munford, Thomas T. (Class of 1852/CSA General)
- Peyton, Bernard. (Board of Visitors, 1837-1841).
- Phillips, Samuel T. (Class of 1867)
- Rogers, Arthur L. (Class of 1852)
- Scott, Winfield (General USA) located in Ward Reading Room
- Strange, John B. (Class of 1842). Related Information
- Weston, Cary (Class of 1864/New Market)
- Wise, Henry A. (Class of 1862/New Market)
6th Floor stacks & other areas
- deButts, Harry A. (Class of 1916) Located in Study Room
- Dillard, John L. (Class of 1896).
- Downer, John W. (Class of 1902)
- Hardaway, Benjamin H. Jr. (Class of 1913) Located in Study Room
- Letcher, John. Governor of Virginia, 1860-1864. (near study rooms)
- Ross, Erskine M. (Class of 1865/New Market)
- Ross, George (Class of 1859/Assistant physician at New Market)
- Ross, John DeHart (Class of 1859)
- Tutwiler, Edward M. (Class of 1867/New Market)