Personal Contact Skills
New business acquaintance:
- Be mindful of your attire and your personal appearance.
- Offer a firm handshake.
- Remember the importance of your posture/body language.
- Confidence and openness are critical to good communication.
- Use eye contact.
- Use your listening skills - participate in two-way conversations.
- Show interest in others.
- Store names and facts in your memory for later use.
Co-workers - all of the above PLUS:
- Be friendly, but not too friendly. Do not depend on your co-workers to be your base of friends outside of work.
- Leave personal life outside of the office.
- Try not to get pulled into listening to others' tales or problems.
- Do not be a part of the office gossip; be aware of what is being said, but do not pass it along.
- Stay apart from office politics; again, be aware of what is happening and who the players are, but do not become embroiled in it.