Academic Enrichment Programs
VMI’s commitment to encourage each cadet to reach his or her full potential is evident in the quality of academic enrichment programs, offering opportunities for cadets to challenge themselves beyond the classroom. undergraduate research, international programs, Institute Honors, service learning, and graduate school partnerships allow cadets to engage in rigorous academic paths that often exceed expectations.
A robust undergraduate research program links cadets and professors in the exploration of open-ended research questions. The research culminates in a capstone experience.
The Summer Undergraduate Research Institute is an intense eight-week program in which cadets pursue their research under the guidance of a faculty mentor. Research is presented annually at the VMI Undergraduate Research Symposium or at other regional or national conferences.
More about Undergraduate Research at VMI
Preparing young men and women for successful service in a world of rapidly integrating cultures and interdependent economies is an inherent component of VMI’s mission.
Programs include international military academy exchange programs, semester-abroad programs, summer-abroad programs, international internships, and cultural exchanges and study tours.
More about International Programs
Established for students who achieve at high levels, the program includes honors courses (with enrollment limited to 12), special forums on current events, and a capstone senior honors project or thesis.
Graduating with Institute Honors is the highest academic achievement at VMI. These cadets may also be recognized via national awards such as the Rhodes, Marshall, and Gates scholarships. VMI has had 11 Rhodes scholars to date.
More about Institute Honors
The VMI experience emphasizes the value of service by preparing cadets to become citizen-soldiers who will serve their country and communities.
To that end, VMI’s Community Outreach and Renewal Experience — the CORE initiative – offers opportunities to learn about service at the local, national, and international levels. Classroom experiences and hands-on participation in community projects give cadets an awareness of the importance of service in the lives of citizen-soldiers.
More about Service Learning
Institute Writing Program
The Institute Writing Program seeks to equip cadets for both academic success and participation in the full range of rhetorical occasions they will encounter in their lives as citizens and professionals. To ensure the development of strong written communication abilities, the program’s curriculum provides sequential, sustained writing instruction and support throughout cadets’ academic careers at VMI.More about the Institute Writing Program
Academic and Professional Societies
Active student chapters of academic and professional societies are sponsored by VMI's academic departments in order to stimulate a serious and practical approach to studies. Programs are planned and conducted by cadets. Visiting speakers address the societies and often cadets prepare and deliver papers. Participation in regional conferences may be included in the activities.
The following societies function at VMI:
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Audio Engineering Club
- Beta Beta Beta, an honor society in Biology
- Beta Gamma Sigma, an honor society in Business Excellence
- Cadet Investment Group
- Delta Phi Alpha, an honor society in German
- Engineering Club
- Engineers Without Borders
- English Society
- Eta Kappa Nu, an honor society in Electrical Engineering
- Ethics Club
- Gamma Sigma Epsilon, an honor society in Chemistry
- German Club
- Institute of Electrical And Electronics Engineers
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, an honor society in Economics
- Omicron Delta Kappa, an honor society for Leadership and Academic Excellence
- Phi Alpha Theta, an honor society in History
- Phi Eta Sigma, national scholastic honor society
- Phi Kappa Phi, an honor society in all academic fields
- Phi Sigma Iota, an honor society in Modern Languages and Cultures
- Pi Delta Phi, an honor society in French
- Pi Tau Sigma, an honor society in Mechanical Engineering
- Pre-Law Society
- Psi Chi, an honor society in Psychology
- Rotaract, community service organization sponsored by ODK
- Sigma Delta Pi, an honor society in Spanish
- Sigma Pi Sigma, an honor society in Physics
- Sigma Tau Delta, an honor society in English
- Society of American Military Engineers
- Society of Physics Students
- Tau Beta Pi, an honor society in Engineering
- Timmins-Gentry Music Society
- The Virginia History Society