Undergraduate Research at VMI

The VMI Center for Undergraduate Research (VCUR) integrates student intellectual curiosity into the VMI experience. It establishes the framework in which educational development can thrive outside the classroom environment.  Academically motivated cadets work closely with faculty mentors in a unique one-on-one environment as they pursue scholarly research. A major goal of VCUR is to enhance the existing curriculum and elevate cadet standards and expectations.

The Summer Undergraduate Research Institute (SURI) supports VCUR's goals by providing a structured program and financial support for research projects conducted during the summer at VMI.  Cadets engage in in-depth research with their faculty mentor while receiving course credit.  It is a competitive application process.  Please see the SURI website for complete details.

VMI's Center for Undergraduate Research is an institutional member of the Council on Undergraduate Research: Learning Through Research.  VMI's  Journal of Undergraduate Research, New Horizons , has been recognized by the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) as a model publication.  The editors of VMI's New Horizons have been selected by CUR to collaborate with Oxford Brookes University to establish a framework in which peer institutions can develop similar publications that showcase student research.

Applications and Deadlines

There are funds available to assist in travel to conduct research or present the cadet's research findings.  Submit an Undergraduate Research Cadet Travel Application along with a a statement of support from the mentor. Applications must be received at least two weeks prior to travel.  If the request is for international travel, approval from the Office of International Programs is required before submitting the request for funding to V-CUR.

VMI also has funding dedicated to assisting in the purchase of research supplies.  A Wetmore application must be submitted with a statement of support from the mentor.

Cadets are responsible for submitting permits to the Commandant's Office for approval.