VMI Cadets Get Serious Leadership Training
Leadership training and development at VMI takes place over a cadet’s four years of college at the Institute. Your journey unfolds as you grow in knowledge, military training, physical fitness, and readiness as a citizen-soldier.
At the VMI Center for Leadership and Ethics, we focus on the leadership and character development of our cadets. We work with the Dean, the Commandant’s staff and the Superintendent in support of VMI’s mission to graduate citizen-soldiers.
Through Hands-on Cadet Experience Programs
Challenging ideas about leadership and ethics
As a cadet, your involvement in one of our programs at our Center will allow you to learn about leadership and ethics from theory to practice. We sponsor programs that range from cadet-led small groups to participation in academic competitions and conferences, even travel.
Our Center’s programs allow cadets to
- develop skills in sound reasoning and ethical decision-making,
- lead discussion groups among their peers,
- engage in problem-solving issues with Corps-wide impact,
- conduct research and presentation skills,
- and gain public speaking skills.
VMI professors and/or staff assist each program. Learn more information about each of these programs to determine which may best fit your area of interest or schedule:
- Cadet Book Club - read select books and discuss the leadership and ethical topics, including controversial issues; meet authors
- Cadet Ethics Team - develop sound reasoning and ethical decision-making skills and compete against like-minded students in similar programs in national and international events
- Cadet - Superintendent's Advisory Board - experiential leadership program for hand-picked upper-class cadets only, examine issues important to the Corps and make recommendations which will improve cadet life to the Superintendent
Cadet Experiences Beyond our Center
- Cadet Leaders Development Opportunities - experiential leadership program for current and/or rising leaders in the Corps. This program facilitates travel to federal service academies, other senior military colleges and like-minded institutions for attendance at their leadership conferences and symposia.
Funding for the Center comes from the Hope-Jackson opportunity fund and thanks to the generous support provided by individuals, organizations and VMI alumni/alumni classes.
For more information about our cadet programs or how you can support a program, please contact Col. Pat Looney at email@example.com or 540-464-7946.