WWII VMI History and Alumni Service
During the period 1939-1945 approximately 4,100 VMI alumni served in all branches of the armed forces. In addition to sending a large number of its alumni to war, the Institute itself underwent significant changes during this era---operating with a much reduced Corps size as men were called to active duty, adapting the curriculum, and serving as a training center for the ASTP (Army Specialized Training Program). Contact us for more information about our records relating to this period.
Popular Research Topics
- The War Years at VMI. A brief history of significant changes at the Institute
- Cadet Life During World War II
- Alumni Deaths in World War II. An annotated list of the 183 alumni who died in service.
- Prisoners of War. An annotated list of the 38 alumni known to have been held prisoner
- VMI Alumni Buried at Normandy and Ardennes
- Alumni Generals and Admirals in World War II
- Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP). Roster and other resources documenting army students at VMI
- Military History Manuscripts Guide. Descriptions of our holdings; many collections available in full-text online