This list is not intended to be comprehensive. The biography by James I. Robertson, Jr., cited below, contains an extensive bibliography. If your local library does not own these books, ask your librarian about interlibrary loan.
The highly recommended biography
- Robertson, James I. Stonewall Jackson--the man, the soldier, the legend. New York: Macmillan Library Reference USA, 1997. This book contains an excellent and comprehensive bibliography of primary and secondary sources.
Selected modern sources
- Alexander, Bevin. Lost victories: the military genius of Stonewall Jackson. New York: Holt, 1992.
- Farwell, Byron. Stonewall: a biography of General Thomas J. Jackson. New York: W.W. Norton, 1992
- Gallagher, Gary W. (editor). Chancellorsville: the battle and its aftermath. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1996.
- Krick, Robert K. Conquering the Valley: Stonewall Jackson at Port Republic. New York: Morrow, 1996
- Krick, Robert K. Stonewall Jackson at Cedar Mountain. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, c1990.
- Krick, Robert K. "The Smoothbore Volley that Doomed the Confederacy." An essay published in the book Chancellorsville, the Battle and Its Aftermath, edited by Gary W. Gallagher. (The University of North Carolina Press, 1996). Krick includes an excellent bibliography.
- O'Reilly, Frank A. The Fredericksburg Campaign: "Stonewall" Jackson at Fredericksburg: the Battle of Prospect Hill, December 13, 1862. Lynchburg, Va. : H.E. Howard, c1993.
- Rankin, Thomas M. Stonewall Jackson's Romney Campaign, January 1-February 20, 1862. Lynchburg, Va. : H.E. Howard, c1994
- Robertson, James I. The Stonewall Brigade. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, c1963, 1977 printing
- Rozear, Marvin P. and Greenfield, Joseph C., Jr. "Let Us Cross Over The River": The Final Illness Of Stonewall Jackson.Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. 1995, vol. 103(no. 1): pp. 29-46.
- Sears, Stephen W. Chancellorsville. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1996
- Shaw, Maurice F. (Maurice Friedlander) Stonewall Jackson's Surgeon Hunter Holmes McGuire: a biography. Lynchburg, VA: H.E. Howard, 1993.
- Tanner, Robert G. Stonewall in the Valley: Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Shenandoah Valley campaign, spring 1862. Mechanicsville, PA: Stackpole Books, c1996.
Selected older sources
Many of these were written by family members, associates, or contemporaries of Jackson. They are of interest to those who wish to read historical accounts, rather than modern scholarship.
- Allan, William, 1837-1889. History of the campaign of Gen. T.J. (Stonewall) Jackson in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. From November 4, 1861, to June 17, 1862. With full maps of the region and of the battle-fields by Jed. Hotchkiss. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1880.
- Arnold, Thomas Jackson. Early life and letters of General Thomas J. Jackson, "Stonewall Jackson," by his nephew, Thomas Jackson Arnold. New York, Chicago [etc.] Fleming H. Revell Company [c1916]
- Cook, Roy Bird, 1886-1961. The family and early life of Stonewall Jackson. Richmond, Va., Old Dominion Press, Inc., 1925.
- Cooke, John Esten, 1830-1886. The life of Stonewall Jackson. From official papers, contemporary narratives, and personal acquaintance. By a Virginian ... Richmond, Ayres & Wade, 1863
- Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898. Life and campaigns of Lieut.-Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, (Stonewall Jackson). New York, Blelock & Co.; Richmond, Va., Philadelphia, Pa., National Publishing Co., 1866
- Douglas, Henry Kyd, 1838-1903. I rode with Stonewall, being chiefly the war experiences of the youngest member of Jackson's staff from the John Brown raid to the hanging of Mrs. Surratt [by] Henry Kyd Douglas. Chapel Hill, The University of North Carolina Press [c1940]
- Henderson, G. F. R. (George Francis Robert), 1854-1903. Stonewall Jackson and the American civil war, by Lieut. Col. G. F. R. Henderson. With an introduction by Field-Marshal the Right Hon. Viscount Wolseley. New York, London, Longmans, Green, 1905.
- Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915. Life and letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson) by his wife, Mary Anna Jackson, with an introduction by Henry M. Field... New York, Harper, 1892 [c1891]
- Jackson, Mary Anna, 1831-1915. Memoirs of Stonewall Jackson / by his widow, Mary Anna Jackson; with introductions by Lieut.-Gen. John B. Gordon and Rev. Henry M. Fields; and sketches by generals Fitzhugh Lee ... [et al.] Louisville, Ky. : The Prentice Press, c1895