The New Market Battlefield State Historical Park is dedicated to perpetuating the battle site as a memorial to the valor of the VMI cadets in the Battle of New Market and to preserving and interpreting the military and social history of the Shenandoah Valley from 1858 to 1868. It takes many people to accomplish this mission including a dedicated team of volunteers who work in many areas including but certainly not limited to: costumed interpretation, special event support, guided tours, Park upkeep and preservation, and educational programming.
Who is eligible?
Volunteer positions are open to all individuals who meet the qualifications outlined below without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age or disability.
What are the qualities of a volunteer?
- Dedication to the Park’s mission and values of the Volunteer Corps
- Integrity to represent the Park and uphold the legacy entrusted to us
- Open-mindedness and patience to interact with visitors whose view of the Civil War may differ from your own
- Reliability fulfills your volunteer commitment
What are the benefits?
- Annual volunteer recognition event
- 25% discount on all Museum Store purchases
- Use of the research library
- Free or reduced admission to special events
- Resume building
- Educational opportunities
- Flexible time commitments
- Bi-monthly newsletter
- Make new friends
- Earn a free admission pass for every 8 hours of volunteering
- Training seminar and materials
How do I get started?
Submit online application form (or print a hard copy and mail or fax it in). You will then be contacted by phone or email to schedule an interview. After completing a successful interview, you and the Volunteer Coordinator will work together to create your schedule. You will need to attend a Volunteer Training Seminar. These are held twice a year in the Spring and Fall.