VMI Summer Session facilitates cadet progression toward degree completion by offering courses for academic credit during the summer.
NOTICE: VMI Summer Session is being held in-person for Summer 2021. VMI will not offer any online or hybrid summer session courses.
Summer Session at VMI provides the opportunity for cadets to meet curricular, scholarship, athletic, or readmission standards, by allowing them to earn credit for subjects in which they stand deficient or by receiving credit for courses in advance of their class. Summer study allows cadets to broaden their education by earning a double major or minor and facilitates transfer from one curriculum to another.
VMI cadets, graduates of accredited secondary schools, and students in good standing at other colleges may attend. High school students who have been promoted to the twelfth grade and have the written approval of their principal are also eligible to attend.
2021 Summer Session Dates
Summer Session I: May 24 - June 25
- All Summer Session I registration and fees are due by 3 p.m. on May 19
- Classes Begin: May 24
- Last day for late registration: May 25
- Last day to add or drop classes: May 25
- Memorial Day - NO CLASSES: May 31
- Last day to withdraw with a "W": June 14
- Juneteenth - NO CLASSES: June 18
- Last Day to withdraw with a "W" or "WF": June 21
- Classes End: June 23
- Final Examinations: June 24-25
Summer Session II: June 28 - July 29
- All Summer Session II registration and fees are due by noon on June 25
- Classes Begin: June 28
- Last day for late registration: June 29
- Last day to add or drop classes: June 29
- Independence Day (observed) - NO CLASSES: July 5
- Last Day to withdraw with a "W": July 19
- Last Day to withdraw with a "W" or "WF": July 23
- Classes End: July 27
- Final Examinations: July 28-29