Civil War Ordnance Reports & Related Documents
Civil War Top Level
The Virginia Military Institute was established in 1839 on the site of a state arsenal. Arsenal stores remained at the new school, guarded by the Corps of Cadets. At the beginning of the Civil War much of the supply of arms was ultimately distributed to the Confederate Army, while some items remained at VMI for use by the Corps of Cadets and in local defense.
The VMI Board of Visitors and Superintendent were responsible for providing an annual accounting to the state government of the number, type and condition of ordnance and ordnance stores housed at VMI. These reports were typically compiled with the assistance of VMI's Ordnance Sergeant John Hampsey (shown below right, in 1877), a veteran of the Mexican War who came to VMI in 1858.
View the Original Reports & Related Resources
Related Secondary Sources - Articles