U.S. News and World Report consistently ranks VMI among the nation’s top five public liberal arts colleges.
The core curriculum develops foundational knowledge and skills that are essential to VMI's academic and military missions. Designed thematically as "The Nucleus of Effective Citizenship and Leadership," VMI's Core requirements are organized into four components.
- Written Communication (ERH 101 - ERH 102 ) 6 hours
- Oral Communication (ERH 103 ) 1 hour
- Scientific Analysis (approved BI, CH, or PY sequence) 8 hours
- Mathematical Reasoning (approved MA sequence) 6 hours
- Physical Education (seven semesters) 4 hours
Foundations of Citizenship and Leadership
- Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) 8 hours
- PS 344 - Leadership in Organizations 3 hours
Perspectives on Civilization and Human Achievement
- World History (HI 103 - HI 104 ) 6 hours
- Civilizations and Cultures (two courses)2
- Writing-Intensive Courses (two courses)3
- Capstone Experience variable