Passports and Visas

In order to study abroad, a cadet must obtain a passport and a student visa. Passport applications normally take 6-8 weeks to process and are good for 10 years.  If you plan to study abroad, apply as soon as possible.  You must apply in person if you are applying for your first U.S. passport.  For more information, click here. For passport renewal information, click here

Visa requirements vary from country to country.  For detailed visa requirements, visit the State Department website and select the country you'll be visiting.  Then look under entry/exit requirements.  You can also check the website for that country's embassy in the U.S. for more details and updated information. If the State Department website does not have a link to the embassy, you can find links on  You must have a passport before applying for a visa. 

For international cadets desiring to study at VMI, click here for U.S. visa information.

Most countries do not require visas for summer abroad students. Check with your host country's consulate to make sure.

Important visa information for study in Spain

Important visa information for study in France