At VMI all cadets are required to take seven semesters of physical education classes.
Our mission is to mentally and physically develop the Corps of Cadets, through exposure to comprehensive and progressive academic (non-degree granting) and experiential (co-curricular) programs designed to enhance self-esteem, physical fitness, leadership characteristics, and the pre-requisite knowledge that produces graduates with a commitment to life-long physical fitness and health.
- offer courses designed to foster cadets with the benefits of living healthy
- prepare and conduct a 5-year review
- develop graduates committed to a lifestyle that promotes physical fitness
- identify needs to support department programs
- insure safe and effective department programs
- achieve 3-3 teaching load
- provide cadets knowledge & skill to enhance levels of physical fitness
- provide cadets knowledge & skill to enhance self-confidence
- provide cadets with the knowledge to develop leadership capabilities
- provide cadets on how to apply exercise science principles to design exercise/fitness programs
- provide cadets with experience to respond appropriately to situations where CPR/lifeguard skills are needed