The VMI Police Department is staffed by ten full time, two part-time certified police officers and six part-time security officers who provide safety and security 24-hours a day.
VMI Police officers are responsible for crime prevention, traffic enforcement and the investigation and prosecution of all criminal offenses that occur on Post, at any of VMI’s outlying properties and on the streets and sidewalks adjoining Post.
- Don’t walk alone if possible, especially at night.
- Report suspicious activity to the VMI Police or Lexington Police.
- Stay in well-lit areas at night, especially when entering and exiting buildings.
- If an area feels unsafe, inform the police to help them to improve the area's sense of safety.
- Be alert. Read email notifications of any criminal activity on Post.
- Avoid excessive drinking as it will lower your inhibitions and affect your judgment, increasing the risk of injury or victimization.