To view the History Department's faculty publications select from the list below:
- Russia and Iran in the Great Game: Travelogues and Orientalism, Routledge, June 2007. Reprinted as a paperback in 2010.
- Rusiia va iran dar basi-yr bozorg. Safarnamehha va shargh geraii. [Persian], translated by Dr. Elaheh Koolaee and Mohammad Kazem Shojaee, University of Tehran, 2009.
- “Discourse of Empathy: Images from Central Asia in the Works of Nikolai Karazin (1842-1908),” forthcoming in Orientality: Cultural Orientalism and Mentality, Orientalist Museum, Doha, 2015.
- “Russian Enterprises in Iran,” with Irina Pavlova, forthcoming in Encyclopedia Iranica.
- “First Phase of Colonization: Russian Villages in Iran in the Early 20th century,” with Morteza Nouraei, Journal of the International Society for Iranian Studies, vol. 46, no.3 (May 2013).
- Guest editor, Special Issue: Power Interplay Between Iran and Russia from the Mid-Seventeenth to the Early Twenty-First Century, “Introduction,” with Maziar Behrooz, Journal of the International Society for Iranian Studies, vol. 46, no. 3 (May 2013).
- “Relationship between Iran and Russia,” Encyclopedia Iranica, ed. Ehsan Yarshater, University of Columbia, 2013.
- “Zapiski russkikh puteshestvennikov ob Irane,”[Russian], Irano-Slavika, Moscow, 2010, no.1(21).
- “Mohajerin-i rus wa eskan-i anha dar iran awayel-i qarn-i bist: marhale-i digar az este’mar ,“ with Morteza Nouraei, [Persian] Journal of Historic Research, Faculty of Letters and Humanities, University of Isfahan, Islamic Republic of Iran, Year 45, New Sequential, no. 4, Winter 2010.
- “N. Karazin. Camp on Amu Daria,” translation from Russian, with Mark E. Woodcock, Metamorphosis, Spring 2010.
- "Russians at the Court of Mahammad-Ali Shah," Encyclopaedia Iranica, ed. Ehsan Yarshater, University of Columbia, 2010.
- "Singer of the Caucasus' Aliab'ev and the beginning of Russian Orientalism in Music," Murappa'e Sharqi: Studies in Honor of Peter Chelkowski. Aiep, Repubblica S. Marino, 2007.
- "Russian Travelers to Iran in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries," Encyclopaedia Iranica, www.iranica.com, 2005.
- “Iran in World War I,” in Encyclopedia of World War I: A Political, Social, and Military History. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2005.
- “Iran in World War II,” in Encyclopedia of World War II: A Political, Social, and Military History. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2004.
- "Travelogues of Berezin, a Nineteenth-Century Russian in Iran," Society and Culture in Qajar Iran: Studies in Honor of Hafez Farmayan, Costa Mesa, CA: Mazda Publishers, 2002.
- "The Work of Sadiq Hedayat and Problems of His Artistic Mehods: 1903-51 [in Russian]." Bulletin of Moscow State University, sec. 13, Orientalism, vol. 2, 1991, pp. 11-20.
- Translation of Dari modern poems and prose into Russian in 79-80: Rassakazy, ocherki, stikhi ('79-'89: Short stories, essays, poems), Moscow: Sovetskii pisatel', 1991, pp. 171-172, 187-188, 193-194, 201-202, 208-213, 218-236, 240-243, 249-250, 262, 265-270, 275-279, 304-314.
- Evgeny Sergeev, The Great Game 1856-1907: Russo-British Relations in Central and East Asia (Washington: Woodrow Wilson Center Press, 2013), forthcoming in The Journal of Military History.
- John W. Parker, Persian Dream: Moscow and Tehran Since the Fall of the Shah (Potomac Books, 2008), Political Science Quarterly, Winter 2009-2010.
- Rudi Matthee, The Pursuit of Pleasure: Drugs and Stimulants in Iranian History, 1500-1900 (Princeton University Press, 2005), Irannameh, 2005.
- Laurence Kelly, Diplomacy and Murder in Tehran: Alexander Griboedov and the Imperial Mission to the Shah of Iran, (I. B. Tauris, 2002), Iranian Studies, Vol. 36, No. 3 (September 2003).
- John Tchalenko, Images from the Endgame: Persia through a Russian Lens 1901-1914 (Saqi, 2006), forthcoming in Iranian Studies.
- Hooshang Talé with Farhad Talé, Iran in the Claws of the Bear: The Failed Soviet Landgrab of 1946 (iUniverse, 2007), forthcoming in the Journal of Military History.
- Rudi Matthee, The Pursuit of Pleasure: Drugs and Stimulants in Iranian History, 1500-1900 (Princeton University Press, 2005), forthcoming in Irannameh.
- Associate Editor, Chronology of World Military History. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2009.
- The Brusilov Offensive, in Decisive Battles of the Twentieth Century Series. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2008.
- Editor, Perspectives on World War II. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2005.
- Editor, Perspectives on World War I. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2005.
- Assistant Editor and contributor, Encyclopedia of the Cold War. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2005.
- "The Brusilov Offensive," Essays on World War I. In the Center for Hungarian Studies and Publications Series, Eastern European Monographs. Edited by Peter Pastor and Graydon Tunstall. New York: Columbia University Press, 2012. pp. 89-110.
- Review of “Freiheit und Oeffentlichkeit: Politischer Samizdat in der DDR 1985-1989" (Freedom and Publication: Underground Political Publication in the German Democratic Republic 1985-1989) by Ilko-Sascha Kowalczuk for the H-German electronic network. (Appeared November 2004)
- Review of "Warfare and Society in Europe, 1898 to the Present" and "Warfare in World History," both by Michael Nieberg, in the July 2004 issue of the Journal of Military History.
- Review, on H-German, of Das Ungarnbild der deutschen Historiographie (Bd. 13, Schriftenreihe des Instituts fuer Donauschwaebische Geschichte und Landeskunde. Stuttgart: Franz Steiner Verlag, 2004.)
- Cultura militar española: modernistas, tradicionalistas y liberales. Madrid: Biblioteca Nueva, 2014.
- Ed., Warfare in Europe, 1919-1938. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2008).
- Franco: Soldier, Commander, Dictator. Washington D.C.: Potomac, 2005.
- Irrational Triumph: Cultural Despair, Military Nationalism, and the Ideological Origins of Franco’s Spain. Reno: University of Nevada Press, 2002.
- Co-ed., War in the Age of Technology: Myriad Faces of Modern Armed Conflict. New York: New York University Press, 2001.
Selected Book Chapters:
- “Muslim Soldiers in a Spanish Crusade: Tomás García Figueras, Mulai Ahmed er Raisuni, and the Ideological Context of Spain’s Moroccan Soldiers”, in Ali Al Tuma and Eric Storm, eds., Colonial Soldiers in Europe, 1914-1945, (Oxford: Routledge, forthcoming 2015).
- “La guerra de Secesión norteamericana: una visión militar española,” in Manuel Gahete Jurado, ed., América y España. Un siglo de independencias (Bilbao: Iberdrola, 2014), pp. 123-142.
- “Military Memories, History, and the Myth of Hispano-Arabic Identity in the Spanish Civil War,” in Aurora Morcillo, ed., Memory and Cultural History of the Spanish Civil War: Realms of Oblivion (Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2013).
- "Rico Avello en Marruecos," in Juan Pan-Montojo, ed., El sueño republicano de Manuel Rico Avello (1886-1939). (Madrid: Biblioteca Nueva, 2011).
- "The Practice and Politics of Spanish Counterinsurgency, 1895-1936," in Brian D. Bunk, Sasha D. Pack, and Carl-Gustaf Scott, eds., Nation and Conflict in Modern Spain: Essays in Honor of Stanley G. Payne (Madison: Parallel Press, 2008), pp. 137-150.
- “Dangerous Neutrality: Spain, the Great War, and Modern Catalan Nationalism,” in Douglas Mackaman and Michael Mays, eds., World War I and the Cultures of Modernity (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2000), pp. 117-124.
- “Recepción literaria y cultura bélica: la Generación del 98, Ricardo Burguete, y el nacionalismo militar en España,” Bulletin of Spanish Studies, Vol. LXXXIV, n. 7 (2007), pp. 871-888.
- “The Peculiarities of ‘Spanish Morocco’: Imperial Ideology and Economic Development,” Mediterranean Historical Review 20, n. 1 (2005), pp. 80-101.
- “Military Nationalism and the State: The Case of Fin-de-Siècle Spain,” Nations and Nationalism 6, n. 2 (April 2000), pp. 257-274.
- “Moral Strength through Material Defeat? The Consequences of 1898 for Spanish Military Culture,” War & Society 17, n. 2 (Oct. 1999), pp. 25-39.
- Associate Editor, SAGE Encyclopedia of Military Science, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2013.
- Review of Jenifer Van Vleck: Empire of the Air: Aviation and the American Ascendancy, in March 2014 Edition of The Journal of Military History.
- Dark Crusade (London: I.B. Tauris, 2009).
- Le Coup d'État de Markus Wolf, La Guerre des Deux Allemagnes 1945-1991 (Paris: Editions Stock, 1991) research and documentation for author Pierre de Villemarest. A history of the East German STASI.
- GRU, Le Plus Secret des Services Sovietiques (Paris: Editions Stock, 1988) co-author with Pierre de Villemarest. A history of Soviet military intelligence.
Chapters in Books:
- “Selective Engagement,” in James J, Hentz, ed., Obligation of Empire, U.S. Grand Strategy at Century’s Dawn (Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2004).
- “Palms for the Prairie, George Wittbold, Nineteenth-Century Chicago Florist and Nurseryman,” Journal of Illinois History, Autumn 1998, pp. 23-42.
- "The Communist Takeover of Mozambique," The Journal of Social, Political and Economic Studies, Volume 7, Spring/Summer 1982, pp. 115-128.
- "The Communist Takeover of Angola," The Journal of Social, Political and Economic Studies, Volume 6, Number 4, Winter 1981, pp. 417-437.
- "The Soviet Network in Central America," Midstream, Volume XXVII, Number 5, May 1981, pp. 3-6.
- “Nicaragua, Terrorism, and the PLO,” West Watch, IV, No. 10, December 1980.
- "Brazil: An Emerging Strategic Factor in the Southern Atlantic," The Journal of Social and Political Studies, Volume 5, Number 3, Fall 1980, pp. 199-230.
- "Marxist-Leninist Theory and the Third World," The Journal of Social and Political Studies, Volume 4, Number 3, Fall 1979, pp. 210-240.
- “What We Can Learn From How Americans Justify War.” The Statesman: The Journal of the John Jay Institute Center for a Just Society (January 2014). Online at http://www.centerforajustsociety.org/what-we-can-learn-from-how-americans-justify-war/#sthash.xvaOMTD3.dpbs
- “Kindling Backfires: Cultivating a National Antislavery Movement, 1836-38.” Slavery and Abolition 33, no. 3 (September 2013): 465-84.
- “War in Earnest: The Army of Virginia and the Radicalization of the Union War Effort, 1862.” Civil War History 58, no. 2 (June 2012): 180-223.
- The Road to Black Ned's Forge: A Story of Race, Sex, and Trade on the Colonial American Frontier. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2014.
- Sen, Tinni, Turk McCleskey, and Atin Basuchoudhary. "When Good Little Debts Went Bad: An Empirical Study of Small Claims Litigation on the Virginia Frontier, 1745-1755." Journal of Interdisciplinary History 46, no. 1 (Summer 2015): 60-89.
- McCleskey, Turk and James C. Squire. "Random Selection of Petit Jurors on the Colonial Virginia Frontier, 1746-1755." Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History 47, no. 3 (2014): 128-137.
- McCleskey, Turk and James C. Squire, "Pennsylvania Credit in the Virginia Backcountry, 1746-1755." Pennsylvania History 81, no. 2 (2014):207-255.
- "Quarterly Courts in Backcountry Counties of Colonial Virginia." Journal of Backcountry Studies 7, no. 2 (2012): 47-57. http://libjournal.uncg.edu/index.php/jbc/article/view/570/330
- "Rich Land, Poor Prospects: Real Estate and the Formation of a Social Elite in Augusta County, Virginia, 1738-1770." Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 98, no. 3 (1990): 449-486.
Contributions to books:
- “Shadow Land: Provisional Real Estate Claims and Anglo-American Settlement in Southwestern Virginia.” In The Southern Colonial Backcountry: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Frontier Communities, edited by David C. Crass et al., 56-68. Chattanooga: Univ. of Tennessee Press, 1998.
- “The Price of Conformity: Class, Ethnicity, and Local Authority on the Colonial Virginia Frontier.” In Diversity and Accommodation: Essays on the Cultural Composition of the Virginia Frontier, edited by Michael J. Puglisi, 213-226. Chattanooga: Univ. of Tennessee Press, 1997.
- "Archaeology and the New Frontier History." In The Archaeology of 18th-Century Virginia, edited by T. Reinhart & D.W. Sanford, 273-281. Richmond: Council of Virginia Archaeologists & Archaeological Society of Virginia, 1996.
- “Israel Christian.” In Dictionary of Virginia Biography, 2d ed. Richmond: Library of Virginia, 2005.
- "Dunmore's War." In The American Revolution, 1775-1783: An Encyclopedia, edited by Richard L. Blanco. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1993.
- "John Murray, 4th Earl of Dunmore." Ibid.
Non-juried essay (but still mighty entertaining):
- "Relic of Two Revolutions." Augusta Historical Bulletin 38 (2002):65-71.
- Review of Jefferson's Freeholders and the Politics of Ownership in the Old Dominion, by Christopher Michael Curtis. Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 121, no. 2 (2013): 180-182.
- Review of American Insurgents, American Patriots: The Revolution of the People, by T. H. Breen. Journal of Southern History 78 (Feb. 2012): 151-152.
- Review of Buying into the World of Goods: Early Consumers in Backcountry Virginia, by Ann Smart Martin. Journal of Social History 44 (Fall 2010): 285-288.
- Review of World of Toil and Strife: Community Transformation in Backcountry South Carolina, 1750-1805, by Peter N. Moore. Journal of Southern History 74 (Aug. 2008): 717-718.
- Review of The Planting of New Virginia: Settlement and Landscape in the Shenandoah Valley, by Warren R. Hofstra. Journal of Interdisciplinary History 37 (Winter 2006): 466-468.
- Review of Breaking the Backcountry: The Seven Years' War in Virginia and Pennsylvania, 1754-1765, by Matthew C. Ward. Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 112, no. 2 (2004): 188-190.
- Review of From British Peasants to Colonial American Farmers, by Allan Kulikoff. Journal of Social History 37 (Winter 2003): 556-558.
- Review of The Fabulous History of the Dismal Swamp Company: A Story of George Washington's Times, by Charles Royster. Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 109, no. 4 (2001): 420-421.
- Review of Benedict Arnold, Revolutionary Hero: An American Warrior Reconsidered, by James Kirby Martin. Journal of Military History 63 (January 1999): 177-179.
- Review of Border Life: Experience and Memory in the Revolutionary Ohio Valley, by Elizabeth A. Perkins. Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 106, no. 4 (1998): 484-485.
- Review of Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West, by Stephen E. Ambrose. Virginia Magazine of History andBiography 105, no. 4 (1997): 475-476.
- Review of Escape in America: The British Convention Prisoners, 1777-1783, by Richard Sampson. Journal of Military History (1996): 156-157.
- Review of The Price of Nationhood: The American Revolution in Charles County, by Jean B. Lee. Journal of Military History (July 1995): 527-529.
- Review of Palatines, Liberty, and Property: German Lutherans in Colonial British America, by A.G. Roeber. Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 102, no. 4 (1994): 555-557.
- Review of Appalachian Frontiers: Settlement, Society and Developent in the Preindustrial Era, edited by Robert D. Mitchell, Journal of Economic History 52 (December 1992): 963-965.
- Britain’s Economic Blockade of Germany, 1914-1919. London: Frank Cass, 2004.
- Cruisers and Battle Cruisers: A History of their Impact. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2004.
- Destroyers. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2004.
- The Battle of Heligoland Bight. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, to be published in 2006.
- “International Law versus Military Expediency: Great Britain’s World War I Economic Blockade of Germany.” Appeared in Proceedings of the American Historical Association, 2004.
- Book Review of Terrell Gottschall: By Order of the Kaiser: Otto von Diederichs and the Rise of the Imperial German Navy, 1865-1902. Appeared 2003 in Journal of Military History
- Book Review of Martin Horn: Britain, France, and the Financing of the First World War. Appeared 2004 in Journal of Military History
- Book Review of Kevin Stubbs: Race to the Front: The Material Foundations of Coalition Strategy in the Great War. Appeared 2004 in Journal of Military History
- Ambush! Surprise Attack in Ancient Greek Warefare, London: Frontline Books, 2012.
- William F. Friedman: A Man and His Collection, Online at the Marshall Library, January 2010.
- Blood in the Sand: Rome's Wars in Parthia, London: Vallentine Mitchell, 2010.
- with Thijs Voskuilen, Operation Messiah: St Paul and Roman Intelligence, London: Vallentine Mitchell, 2008
- Spies from the Bible, London: Greenhill Books, 2007.
- Intelligence Activities in Ancient Rome: Trust in the Gods, But Verify, London: Frank Cass, 2005.
- Espionage in the Ancient World: An Annotated Bibliography, Jefferson: North Carolina, McFarland, 2003.
- “A Guide to Ancient World Intelligence – From Antiquity to Rome,” The Intelligencer, 18/3 (Summer/Fall 2011), pp. 49-51.
- "The Odysseus Syndrome: Ambush and Surprise in Ancient Greek Warfare," in: European History: Lessons for the 21st Century. Essays from the 3rd International Conference on European History, Edited by Gregory T. Papanikos and Nicholas C.J. Pappas, Athens: ATINER, 2007, ch. 8.
- "Trajan's Parthian Adventure: With Some Modern Caveats," in: Eunan O'Halpin, Robert Armstrong and Jone Ohlmeyer, (eds.) Intelligence, Statecraft and International Power. Historical Studies XXV. Papers read before the 27th Irish Conference of Historians Held at Trinity College, Dublin, 2005.
- "Ancient Intelligence," Encyclopedia of Intelligence and Counterintelligence, Golson Books, 2004.
- "Spy Tales," Bible Review (October, 2003), pp. 12-19, 41-42.
- "The Sator Rebus: An Unsolved Cryptogram?," Cryptologia 27,3 (July 2003), pp. 233-287.
- Woolliscroft, David and Birgitta Hoffman, The First Frontier. Rome in the North of Scotland, Stroud: Tempus, 2006 in Journal of Military History, 71, 1 (January, 2007), pp. 210-211.
- Richard A. Gabriel, The Military History of Ancient Israel, foreword by Mordechai Gichon, Westport, CT: Praeger, 2003, 334 pp. Journal of Military History 69,1 (January 2005), pp. 197-204.
- Richard A Gabriel, The Great Armies of Antiquity, Westport, CT: Praeger, 2002, pp. xxi, 430. in: International History Review 26,2 (June 2004), pp. 100-103.
- Peter Schaefer, The Bar Kokhba War Reconsidered, Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2003, Journal of Military History, 68,2 (April 2004), pp. 582-583.
- Peter S. Wells, The Battle That Stopped Rome, New York: W.W. Norton, 2003 in Journal of Military History, 68,2 (April 2004), pp. 582-583.
- "Touji zhiwai: Guojia zhengzhi shijiao xia de 1910 nian shanghai jinrong weiji [Beyond Speculation: State Politics and The 1910 Shanghai Rubber Share Crisis]" Shilin [Historical Review], Forthcoming in 2014.
- "Hou xiandai zhuyi lishixue wushi nian suping [Featured Review: Post-Modern History - A Genealogical Sketch]" Shixue yuekan [Journal of Historical Science] (November 2013), pp. 121-132.
- Editor, with Timothy Dowling, The Cold War: Opening Shots, 1945-1950. Lexington, VA: Virginia Military Institute, 2003.
- Editor, The Korean War at Fifty: International Perspectives. Lexington, VA: John A. Adams 71 Center for Military History and Strategic Analysis, Virginia Military Institute, 2004.
- Co-editor with Malcolm Muir, The Most Dangerous Years: The Cold War, 1953-1976. Lexington, VA: John A. Adams 71 Center for Military History and Strategic Analysis, Virginia Military Institute, 2005.
- The Shanghai American Community and the Communist Revolution, Southeast Review of Asian Studies vol. XVII (1995): pp. 30-47.
- Shanghai Perspective on the Marshall Mission, in George C. Marshall's Mediation Mission to China, December 1945-January 1947, edited by Larry I. Bland, with special assistance by Roger B. Jeans and Mark F. Wilkinson, Lexington, VA: George C. Marshall Foundation, 1998, pp. 327-56.
- Internment in Shanghai, in The China Connection, 1999-2000.
- "The Shanghai American Community, 1937-1949," in New Frontiers: Imperialism's New Communities in East Asia, 1842-1952, edited by Robert Bickers and Christian Henriot, Manchester University Press (2000): pp. 231-49.
- “American Military Misconduct in Shanghai and the Chinese Civil War: The Case of Zang Dayaozi” in The Journal of American-East Asian Relations 17:2 (2010): pp. 146-73.
- Nicholas R. Clifford, Spoilt Children of Empire: Westerners in Shanghai and the Chinese Revolution of the 1920s in The Journal of Asian Studies, 51:3 (August 1992): 639-41.
- Akira Iriye, Pearl Harbor and the Coming of the Pacific War: A Brief History with Documents and Essays St. Martin's Press, 1999, in The Journal of Military History, 64:1 (January 2000): 236-37.
- Bernard Wasserstein, Secret War in Shanghai, Houghton-Miflin, 1999, in the Journal of Military History 64:3 (July 2000): 883-84.\
- Masahira Yamamoto, Nanking: Anatomy of an Atrocity, Praeger, 2000, in The Journal of Military History, 65:4 (October 2001): 1130-32.
- Christopher Bo Bramsen, Open Doors: Vilhelm Meyer and the Establishment of General Electric in China Curzon Press, 2001, in Pacific Affairs 74:4 (Winter, 2001-02): 595-96.
- Bruce Elleman, Wilson and China: A Revised History of the Shandong Question, M.E. Sharpe, 2002, in The Journal of Military History 67:2 (April 2003): 585-87.
- Greg Leck, Captives of Empire: The Japanese Internment of Allied Civilians in China 1941-1945, Shandy Press, 2006, in The Journal of Military History 72:4 (October 2008): 1316-17.
- Spencer Tucker, ed. Encyclopedia of World War I: a Political, Social and Military History ABC-Clio, 2005.
Entries: Shandong (Shantung) Settlement
- Spencer Tucker, ed. Encyclopedia of World War II: a Political, Social and Military History ABC-Clio, 2005.
Entries: Evans Fordyce Carlson
- To the Fourth Shore: Italy's War for Libya (1911-1912) / Verso la Quarta Sponda: La Guerra italiana per la Libia (1911-1912). Rome: Historical Office, General Staff, Italian Army, 2012.
- Victor Griffuelhes and French Syndicalism, 1895-1922. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1996.
- Wars of Imperial Conquest in Africa, 1830-1914. London: UCL Press; Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1998.
- Indian Wars of Mexico, Canada and the United States, 1812-1900. London: Routledge, 2006.
- "Caesura: Azorean-North American Relations in the Years of the American War of Independence (1776-1783)," in Avelino Freitas de Meneses et al., eds., O Papel das Ilhas do Atlantico na Criacao do Contemporaneo. Angro do Heroismo, Terceira: Instituto Histórico da Ilha Terceira, 2000.
- "Colonial Wars, 1815-1960," in Jeremy Black, ed., European Warfare, 1815-2000. Houndmills,
Basingstoke, U.K.: Palgrave, 2002.
- "France, Suez, and the Cold War," in Malcolm Muir, Jr. and Mark F. Wilkinson, eds., The Most Dangerous Years: The Cold War, 1953-1975. Lexington, Va.: The John A. Adams Center for Military History & Strategic Analysis, Virginia Military Institute, 2005.
- "War in the Non-European World, " in Matthew Hughes & William J. Philpott, eds., Palgrave Advances in Modern Military History. Houndmills, Basingstoke, U.K.: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
- "New Light on the East African Theater of the Great War: A Review Essay of English-Language Sources," in Stephen M. Miller, ed., Soldiers and Settlers in Africa, 1850-1918. Leiden, Netherlands: Brill, 2009.
- "War and Imperial Expansion," in Roger Chickering, Dennis Showalter, and Hans van de Ven, eds., Vol. 4, War and the Modern World, 1850-1914. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- "CGT : le premier siècle -L'expérience de Griffuelhes," Le Mouvement social, 172 (juillet- septembre 1995): 51-62.
- Reader's Guide to Military History (London & Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 2001)
- "Abyssinia, British and Italian Expeditions, 1867-1896"
- " Algeria: French Conquest of, 1830-1847"
- "Ashanti Wars, 1823-1900"
- "Indochina: French Subjugation of, 1858-1893"
- "Wolseley, Garnet Joseph"
- Naval Warfare: An International Encyclopedia (Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2002)
- "Aube, Hyacinthe Laurent Théophile"
- "Azores, Battles of the (1582-1583)"
- "Boué de Lapeyrère, Augustin Emmanuel Hubert Gaston (1852-1924)"
- "Bougainville, Louis Antoine de (1729-1811)"
- "Brueys d'Aigalliers, François Paul de (1753-1798)"
- "Castex, Raoul Victor Patrice (1878-1968)"
- "Courbet, Amédée Anatole Prosper (1827-1885)"
- "Decoux, Jean (1884-1963)"
- "Dupuy de Lome, Stanislas Charles Henri Laurent (1816-1885)"
- "Suffren de Saint-Tropez, Pierre André de (1729-1788)"
- World War I: Encyclopedia (Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2005)
- "Africa in World War I"
- The Encyclopedia of the North American Colonial Wars: A Political, Social, and Military History (Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2008)
- "Bougainville, Louis Antoine de, Comte de (1729-1811)"
- "Chaussegros de Léry, Gaspard Joseph"
- "Church, Benjamin (1630-1718)"
- "Dumas, Jean-Daniel"
- "La Corne Saint-Luc"
- "Liénard de Beaujeu, Daniel-Hyacinthe Marie"
- "Neolin (the Delaware Prophet)"
- "Rale, Sébastien (also Rasle) (1652-1724)
- "Stuyvesant, Petrus (c. 1610-1672)"
- " Troupes de Marine"
- "Weiser, Conrad (1698-1760)"
- Encyclopedia of War (Oxford: Blackwell, 2011)
- "Adowa, Battle of (1896)"
- "Anglo-Ashanti Wars"
- "Armée coloniale"
- "Cadorna, Luigi"
- "French Conquest of Algeria (1830-1847)"
- "French Foreign Legion"
- "Gungunhana (1850-1906)"
- "Hoche, Gen. Louis Lazare"
- "Pontiac (1720-1769)"
- "Shamyl, Imam (1797-1871)"
- "Touré, Samori "
- "Troupes de Marine"
- "Turco-Italian War of 1911-1912"
- "World War I, Southern [Italian] Front"