Athletic Academic Advisor - Internship - Part-time
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Virginia Military Institute, an NCAA Division I and Southern Conference member, is seeking one candidate for a part-time Athletic Academic Advisor Intern position in the Cadet-Athlete Development Office. This position reports to the Director of Athletic Academic Services & Compliance and work directly with cadet-athletes.
Athletic Academic Advisor Interns are an integral part of the development, administration, and evaluation of the academic support programs provided to our cadet-athletes. Our program emphasizes the identification of academic concerns, promotes academic accountability and monitors student-athletes’ academic and personal transition to the university environment. These positions work jointly with relevant Academic Services and the Athletic Department in coordination of skill development and academic support for student-athletes.
The VMI Athletic Program provides a professional opportunity for direct experience in daily academic support services for cadet-athletes, program development, mentoring, and fulfilling a key role on staff as a part of our team. Interns will participate in a dynamic professional development curriculum and cross-training opportunities, building broad skillsets toward a rewarding career in athletic academic services.
- Assist in all aspects of academic service programming for cadet-athletes.
- Full commitment to compliance with the NCAA, Southern Conference, and Virginia Military Institute rules and regulations.
- Assist with the monitoring of progress towards degree and eligibility requirements as well as some basic compliance functions.
- Foster a student-focused environment conducive to learning and building key skills necessary for academic and personal responsibility including critical thinking, writing, reading, note taking, study strategies, and academic self-advocacy.
- Supervise structured academic support sessions and assist in monitoring evening guided study programs for freshmen and at-risk cadet athletes.
- Assist in the facilitation of tutor appointment requests.
- Contribute to departmental administrative efforts in sport/event management and others areas as needed.
- Perform general administrative tasks and other duties as assigned.
This is a 1500-hour position starting as soon as possible and ending on May 20, 2022. This is a part time position and may require the ability to work some nights, weekends, and holidays. This is a 1500-hour position starting as soon as possible and ending on May 16, 2021.
$12 an hour taxable wage. No benefits will be provided.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong organizational and computer skills, excellent communication, ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends and ability to relate to students of diverse backgrounds and varying levels of academic proficiency.
- Interest in working in the fields of athletic academic support, higher education, and/or collegiate athletics.
- Ethical, personal and academic integrity standards in line with that of the Virginia Military Institute and the Cadet-Athlete Development Office.
- Master’s Degree.
- Previous experience in academic advising, tutoring, teaching, and/or collegiate athletics.
Candidates, please apply online at: Athletic Academic Advisor - Internship - Part-time Job Application
In addition to the online application please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names of three professional references, along with your application.
Applications accepted until the positions are filled.
Criminal background check is required for all successful candidates.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Mykayla Harris, Director of Athletic Academic Services & Compliance at 540-464-7722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.