Spend the summer interpreting the history of the Shenandoah Valley, 1858 –1868 at New Market Battlefield.
Established by author Jeff Shaara, the Scholar-in-Residence Program provides cadets the opportunity to engage in the stewardship of mid-nineteenth century American history. Cadets are exposed to facets of the museum profession while assisting museum staff with daily duties and representing the Corps of Cadets to the visiting public.
- Summer residency on the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park;
- $3,500 stipend
- and a personally autographed set of the Civil War Trilogy by authors Michael and Jeff Shaara.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted no later than April 15.
- Any rising Third, Second or First Class VMI cadet, regardless of major, who is in good standing, is eligible to apply.
- A four-member committee comprised of members of the VMI history department and the VMI museum staff determines the award.
- The Shaara Scholar will be announced at the spring Cadet Awards Convocation.
Terms of Residence
The Shaara Scholar will be provided housing on the Bushong Farm, New Market Battlefield State Historical Park for the period not less than ten weeks commencing the first week of June and running through the first week of August.
- The Shaara Scholar will be employed as a member of the museum staff and rotate through all departments of the museum, thus receiving a broad exposure to the museum profession.
- Experiences will include leading tours of the New Market Battlefield and Bushong Farm, working with the ground maintenance crew, and assisting with administrative duties during a forty-hour workweek.
- The Shaara Scholar will be required to wear the VMI uniform and maintain cadet standards of grooming during working hours.